Bulgarian Lavender: Why and How We Use It
Where does our lavender come from?
Bulgarian lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) has a rich history that dates back centuries. It is native to the Mediterranean region, but it was brought to Bulgaria in the 18th century and has since become a staple crop for the country's agriculture industry.
Bulgaria's Lavender Farms
One of the reasons Bulgarian lavender farms are so highly regarded is because of the unique growing conditions in the region. Bulgaria's climate, soil, and altitude are said to produce a particularly high-quality lavender essential oil, which is prized for its sweet, floral aroma and therapeutic properties.
Historically, Bulgarian lavender has been used for a variety of purposes, including in traditional medicine, perfumery, and cosmetics. This functional fragrance was also used to scent linens and ward off moths and other pests.
During World War I, Bulgarian lavender became a valuable commodity for the Allied Powers, as it was used to disinfect wounds and prevent infection. This helped to elevate the status of Bulgarian lavender on the international stage and cemented its reputation as a powerful natural remedy.
Today, Bulgarian lavender continues to be a popular ingredient in a wide range of products, from essential oils and candles to soaps and skin care products. Its popularity is a testament to the enduring appeal of this ancient herb and its many uses and wellness benefits.
Mental Wellness Benefits
Bulgarian Lavender is known for its calming and relaxing effects on the mind and body. The essential oil of Bulgarian lavender contains compounds such as linalool and linalyl acetate, which have been found to have a number of therapeutic properties, including the ability to reduce anxiety and promote relaxation.
What do studies say about lavender?
Studies have shown that inhaling lavender essential oil can have a positive effect on mood and mental wellbeing. In one study published in the Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, participants who inhaled lavender essential oil for 15 minutes reported feeling more relaxed, calm, and refreshed compared to a control group that did not inhale lavender.
Can lavender help with anxiety?
Bulgarian lavender has also been found to have potential benefits for people with anxiety disorders. A study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that inhaling lavender essential oil for 15 minutes before a dental procedure significantly reduced anxiety levels in participants.
Overall, the calming and mood-enhancing effects of Bulgarian lavender make it a popular choice for aromatherapy and stress relief. Whether inhaled through essential oil diffusers or added to bath products, Bulgarian lavender is a natural way to promote relaxation and support mental well-being.
What is Bulgarian lavender used for?
8 Uses for Bulgarian Lavender:
- Aromatherapy: Bulgarian lavender essential oil is often used in aromatherapy to promote relaxation, reduce stress, and improve mood.
- Skincare: Bulgarian lavender oil is a popular ingredient in skincare products due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It can help to soothe and nourish the skin and reduce inflammation and redness.
- Natural perfume: The sweet and floral aroma of Bulgarian lavender makes it a popular ingredient in natural perfumes and fragrances.
- Household cleaning: Bulgarian lavender essential oil is often used in household cleaning products due to its antibacterial properties.
- Insect repellent: The scent of Bulgarian lavender is said to be a natural insect repellent, making it a popular choice for use in outdoor sprays and lotions.
- Pain relief: The anti-inflammatory properties of Bulgarian lavender oil make it a popular natural remedy for relieving headaches, muscle pain, and other types of pain.
- Better sleep: Bulgarian lavender is known for its calming and relaxing effects, making it a popular natural remedy for promoting better sleep and reducing insomnia.
- Cooking: Bulgarian lavender flowers can be used in cooking and baking to add a sweet, floral flavor to dishes and desserts.
Why Bulgarian Lavender?
Bulgarian lavender is a highly regarded variety of lavender, known for its unique and highly fragrant aroma, as well as its superior quality and therapeutic properties. We infuse this into our candles, mainly our Lavender Soulstice Candle to enhance wellness of the mind and body.
What makes our lavender 'high quality'?
One of the main reasons Bulgarian lavender is considered to be superior to regular lavender is its growing conditions. Bulgaria's temperate climate, with hot summers and cold winters, provides the ideal environment for growing lavender.
The soil in the Bulgarian Rose Valley, where most Bulgarian lavender is grown, is rich in minerals and nutrients, which helps to produce high quality lavender plants with a high concentration of essential oils.
What is Bulgarian Lavender known for?
In addition to its ideal growing conditions, Bulgarian lavender is also known for its unique and highly fragrant aroma. The essential oil of Bulgarian lavender has a sweeter, more floral scent compared to other varieties of lavender, which makes it a popular choice for use in perfumes and other scented products.
Bulgarian lavender also contains higher levels of certain compounds, such as linalool and linalyl acetate, which are known to have therapeutic properties. These compounds are known to have calming and relaxing effects on the mind and body, making Bulgarian lavender a popular choice for aromatherapy and stress relief.
The unique growing conditions, highly fragrant aroma, and superior quality of Bulgarian lavender make it a highly sought-after variety of lavender, known for its therapeutic properties and abundant uses.
Why are lavender candles used for wellness therapy?
Infusing lavender oil into our candles provides a range of wellness benefits for the mind and body. When the candle is lit, the heat from the flame causes the lavender oil to evaporate and release its aroma into the air, creating a soothing and relaxing atmosphere. Not only do we infuse the lavender wellness molecule, we also infuse Ho Wood, Frankincense, and Eucalyptus into our candles as well. More information on these powerful molecules can be read about in our Wellness Journal.
Wellness benefits of lavender candles:
- Promotes relaxation: The aroma of lavender oil is known for its calming and relaxing effects on the mind and body. By infusing lavender oil into our candles, we hope to create a soothing atmosphere that can help reduce stress and promote relaxation.
- Improves sleep: The calming effects of lavender oil can also help to improve sleep quality. Burning our lavender-infused candle in the bedroom before bedtime creates a relaxing environment that can help you fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly.
- Reduces anxiety: Studies have shown that inhaling lavender oil helps reduce feelings of anxiety and promote a sense of calm. Burning a lavender candle can provide a natural way to create a calming environment and reduce anxiety levels.
- Eases headaches: Lavender oil has been found to have pain-relieving properties and may help ease headaches and migraines. Burning a lavender-infused candle creates a soothing atmosphere that may help reduce headache symptoms.
- Improves mood: The sweet and floral scent of lavender oil is known to have mood-boosting properties. Burning a lavender-infused candle helps create a positive and uplifting atmosphere that can improve mood and overall well-being.
We infuse the lavender molecule into our wellness candles to provide a natural and effective way to relax, reduce anxiety, improve sleep quality, and boost mood. It's an easy and beautiful way to enjoy the therapeutic benefits of lavender essential oil.